This was heartbreaking. I loved these vines but they had to go. The previous home owner had a thing for plants and that's cool! I love em too but not when they're trying to take over. This vine had just gotten too big and was creating too much mess. PLUS IT WAS GROWING INTO MY SIDING! BAD! As nice as it looked, it attracted tons of bugs and I am surprised to say it, I'm glad its gone. I cut the root in the fall, let it dry out and in the spring this year tore down all the dead branches. I feel like it looks so much cleaner and nicer. Even the plants in the front garden have a little more room to grow! To my surprise a Passion flower vine sprouted and started to grow in a small area which I am totally fine with... until it decides to go into my siding. Then we'll murder that one too! Which look do you prefer? The over grown or clean? More vlogs from the garden to come this summer!
I feel like I have SO MANY PROJECTS on the go but I love it... Being busy means summer has arrived. In the winter, I become a shut in and am usually pretty bored so I am very excited to get outside and get dirty - IN THE GARDEN!
I have a big gardening video coming up but I wanted to show you guys what I've been working on. The little plot I made in my backyard! I'm really picky with where/what I wanted to plant. Abra uses the grass/yard to #1/#2 so I didn't really want to be planting FOOD where he was doing that business. Last thing I want is dog shit strawberries... whatever maybe it doesn't matter but I was concerned.
The previous owner of my house had a hot tub (which unfortunately they didn't leave for me to enjoy) BUT they had a stone area with some other bricks set up in the yard. Since we weren't using that area and Abra had never peed or pood there - I figured it was the prefect spot to dig up and start a little garden.
In this photo, I had already started digging up the patio stones. You can see the difference between the left (stones removed) and the right (untouched)
I did this all on my own. I had never done something like this before and It took me pretty much all day to set up... Here's how I did it
Removed all the stones & dug out the junk! Cleared the area of the weeds/plants that were already growing there and moved the dirt around a bit...
I used dirt from The Big Yellow Bag *Not sponsored*
I ordered a few weeks ago to fill it in and create a bit of a raised bed.
Once I was happy with the amount of dirt and height of the garden I covered it with a black mesh to keep in warmth and make it look super professionallll. I used the left over bricks to hold it all in place...
NOW THE BEST PART! BRING IN THE GREENS!
I was posting progress on Instagram and asking you guys what we should plant here! We decided to go with the things we eat/use the most that are fairly easy to grow. Again, this is my first time doing something like this.
I cut holes in the mesh and planted... from left to right: Zucchini, Rosemary, Thyme, Swiss Chard and Two Strawberry Bushes (Hopefully not Dog Shit Strawberry Bushes)
I noticed immediately the robins taking a liking to my new garden and I wasn't having the birds benefit from all my hard work so I got a few U shaped bamboo sticks to wrap some mesh around to keep away anything that is also "hungry"
I carefully cut small holes in the mesh and pushed the sticks firmly into the ground... I used more than I probably needed to, but I wanted extra support just in case, I donno, Wind? Or a bird (fat robin) actually does TRY to land on it *sigh*
Here's what it looked like before adding the plastic chicken wire
I used zip ties to fasten the mesh to the bamboo sticks... I didnt tighten the zip ties all the way, so I could later adjust the mesh if needed. I had to cut 3 strips of mesh, One for each side and one for the top.
The side facing the grass cant be accessed. I mean it can be, but it'll be difficult. The mesh is placed under the stones (in hopes that the animals stay away too) The side that we are looking at CAN be lifted up so I can tend to the plants inside. It can be watered easily from above, without having to move the mesh.
Overall this project cost me about $120
I had some free materials like the stones and used some things from the dollar store (the black mesh for the soil/plants and the zip ties)
I got the plants, bamboo U sticks and plastic chicken wire from Canadian Tire
I didn't use all the soil from the Big Yellow Bag - I still have enough to do this two more times if I wanted to. Oh and the zucchini was grown from a seed in my laundry room (who knows if it'll grow or give us hini's, its an experiment)
I love my garden - I've got other grow projects on the go! Check my Instagram story for daily updates and keep an eye on the site for more updates!
SUNFLOWER GARDEN BONUS
Let me explain my plans with this weird thing in the background of all these photos...